Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

The Colorado Balloon Classic!

Every year, around Labor Day, Colorado Springs hosts two important events: the Firefighter's Memorial Ceremony and the Colorado Balloon Classic.

The Firefighter's Memorial is an international event honoring those firefighters who have lost their lives in the line of duty during the last year.Each name is read aloud and inscribed on a wall in Memorial Park. It is a gorgeous, solemn ceremony of honor. Bagpipes and drums, the families of those being remembered, and representatives of fire departments from the U.S. and Canada.  

This year though, a friend and I decided to attend the Balloon Classic; one of the largest hot air balloon gatherings in the country - I think only the New Mexico event is bigger, but I'm not certain of that. This is also held in Memorial Park (it's a BIG park) with liftoffs at dawn (weather permitting) and food stands and such.

Well, the night before the first liftoff, my friend called with a strained back - can't walk around carrying camera gear. Poop! That ruins a fun time hanging out with a fellow shutterbug. I go to bed thinking "I've got plenty of other work I should be catching up on anyway."

Well, I'm awake well before dawn, do a little editing work, but eventually gather myself (and a cup of good strong coffee) and decide to see if I can venture out into the crowds alone. The coffee helped a lot. I found a parking spot only a block from the park and found myself comfortable in the rather large crowd that always gathers for this event. There must have been nearly as many cameras as people - because for every person I saw without a camera, there were photographers with multiple cameras strapped on. The announcer was going on about a photo contest that would win a hot air balloon ride next year. I ignored it, I'm just here for the experience - and some pictures of hot air balloons getting ready for flight.
Here are a few examples of what I captured. It was really pretty cool; I got in, got my shots, and got out before the crowd drove me crazy (sometimes crowds make me really nervous). 

 
Walking into the park I felt a part of this throng of families gathering for this event. I saw the chance for this beautiful flare and took it. We're all walking towards the light.

 
The scene as you approach the main staging area.

Deep inside the staging area. A swarm of people, all trying to get close to the balloons as they are being inflated.The balloon crews are really laid back and accomodating of people trying to get a peek inside the balloons.
 
I LOVE this shot! The interplay of light and shadow, the colors, the other-worldliness of it. At this point the crew are blowing air into the balloon to get it into shape. Next, hot air is blown into a balloon. The balloon crew let me get in really close to the blowers with my fisheye lens for a few pictures. My camera is only like 3 inches from the blowers - wow! This kind of access is what makes the Balloon Classic such a great 'photo op'. Then, I ran back to catch the sun peeking through a balloon's basket just before lift-off. 

Then, suddenly . . . FLIGHT! The gentle giants rise amid cheers and waves to fill the morning sky. Where are they headed? Who knows. I know that coffee is no longer needed - colorful balloons are filling the sky! The scene brings out the child in everyone present.








 
So, I walk back to my car and start to leave. Looking up I see the Energizer Bunny looming over the launch field like Godzilla. All I need is to add is a bit of flare to keep with the unreal nature of this scene - "Bunnyzilla, emerging from the forest (imagine the screams, etc.)."

 
See you here next year? Don't forget to bring your camera. Oh, almost forgot to include my favorite photos of the morning! Here are my picks:


I love the shadow figures in this shot. I think they gives it a sense of mystery.

The shadows, the patterns, and ... that little girl entering this land of wonder and mystery.

The Marine Corps flag and the National Flag - remembering. Shot with a fisheye lens about a foot from the Marine flag.

Okay, here I have the camera right next to the blower to catch a ball of flame headed towards the canopy of the balloon. With all the colors pouring in from outside.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words about the event. It makes the work through out the year worth it.

    Dusty Shutt
    Souvenir Program Designer &
    Info Table Lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dusty, thank you for putting on such an awesome event! It really stands out and is wonderful for families. Can't wait till next year.

    ReplyDelete